Thursday, October 25, 2007

Uncertainty 2

ANTO COMETA

Choices are those we make for circumstances that need to (or need not) be decided. Whether we choose to come to a decision or not, it will still have an effect on the current situation that the individual is in. But why is it quite hard to make a choice? I always know the answer, and that’s the reason I wrote this entry.

I never thought I would have another entry that would turn out to be similar to what I wrote before for my sister. I could still remember that night (or should I say morning) when she begged and had given me two sticks of cigarettes (which I asked) in exchange for a one-page paper for her class. I usually don’t write schmaltzy articles, I would rather read those that were written by others than to compose one.

As I finished writing this, I just realized that I smoked ten; five times more than I had when I wrote the first.


The Choice of Uncertainty

You sail again the waters of uncertainties. But this time, it’s more perilous and far more complicated. Coupled with anxieties that you cannot fully explain but you strongly feel.

Several times you have fallen, endured the torment, already cognizant of what should be done the next time you stumble upon the same situation and yet you still haven’t set the course of your life accordingly. The problem is you refuse to learn. How can you set the path when you’re confronted with denial? It’s like a splinter in one’s mind that drives an individual mad. Now, you are strained to make a choice before it turns into complete lunacy. The choice to be made would be the choice that would conclude everything.

But a choice is not an end but a means in achieving an end, an end which in itself uncertain. Why make a choice when you don’t know what to expect after making a choice? A more convoluted question would be, why make a choice when you are unsure what choice to make. There’s only one answer I have in mind, and that is - by not making a choice you have already decided the outcome. Making a choice is the most that an individual could do and the least that could be expected. Everything begins and ends with a choice.

Making a choice is the initial phase in removing the uncertainties that you have. What lies ahead is not something to be terrified of but something to look forward to and be prepared to deal with. I’ve said before that it doesn’t really matter how long the travel would be or the obstacles to be encountered throughout the voyage. What’s more important is that you’re still on the course and nearing towards the destination.

At this point, if I make a choice, would it put an end to the uncertainties that I have in mind? How could a choice make things fall in its proper place, its proper perspective, on the right track? The choices one makes are the choices that will set one’s path (whatever that is). Apparently, uncertainty is not the dilemma but making the choice itself.

No comments: