Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The Story of Milk and Coffee

ANTO COMETA

Last Saturday, after our 1-4 pm class under Dr. Bach Macaraya, me and my friends in graduate school – Bossing Jess, Atty. Cathe and Jef decided to go out for a wholesome afternoon engagement - discuss IR concepts or anything under the sun while drinking milk (seriously) and coffee. However, it turned out to be an alcoholic drinking spree of a juvenile slave driven employee and three established professionals. What happened to the milk and coffee?

Initially, we were supposed to go to a coffee shop because Jess was quite sleepy even after the class (although the class was not that boring - thanks to one of our classmates who for the nth time never failed to piss everyone in class by his thoughtless remarks and questions), Cathe craves for milk and Jeff, even though he already left early, text messaged that he will join us as soon as he’s done with the activity that he’s currently engaged in.

Downstairs we met up with our groupmates Erika and Elo to discuss who will be the members of our next reporting session (we have decided to distribute the members into two groups for the remaining two concepts that we have to cover for the course). Even after we have settled the matter, we were still indecisive as to where we were going. Elo suggested a nifty place where we could drink coffee and milk with the ambiance and all. Without any qualms, we decided to go the place that Elo suggested. We asked Elo and Erika if they wanted to join us. Erika declined because she’ll be traveling a couple of hours going home (she lives in Laguna), she can’t afford to stay late, while Elo still has a class until 7:00 pm. Elo said he will just follow as soon as his class ends and if we are still there.

Anyway, we went to the establishment Elo suggested. When we arrived at the place, we asked one of the personnel if they are serving milk and coffee. The personnel seemed stunned by my question; he said “sir ano po kape at gatas” with a baffled look in his eyes. I replied “oo kuya, gatas at kape, bakit wala ba dito noon?” He just smiled and said “wala po”. I replied again and said “seryoso, talagang walang kape at gatas dito?” The personnel didn’t answer back anymore and just turned around and went to the counter. I couldn’t say anything other than “sira ulong Elo yun ah” and then we laughed. We have no choice but either go to a coffee shop or just settle there and drink whatever they have. The three of us agreed that we just stay there.

Jef finally arrived after several minutes, Jess and I decided to drink beer instead, while the two ordered chamomile tea. Actually, I’m not so sure at that time if I really wanted to drink alcohol since it’s been 3 days (not consecutive though) that I have been drinking. Nonetheless, I still ordered beer, I can’t resist the temptation. After an hour and a half of academic discussion, two refills of chamomile tea and six bottles of san mig light. Cathe and Jef decided to drink booze as well. It was already almost 8:00 pm when Elo arrived. It has been four hours since we step foot on the place. After an hour, another two rounds of beer (that’s almost 9:00 pm if I’m not mistaken), senseless jokes and hard laughs because we were already under the influence of alcohol (note: we are not yet drunk), Jess called my attention and said that he has to leave because he still has to fetch his daughter in school. Elo seconded, that he also needs to go because he has another affair to attend to. So it would be me, Cathe and Jef who will be left after the two departs. The three of us decided to continue our alcohol binge at a nearest bar where we could have a bit of live music to listen to – 70s Bistro. It was me who suggested the place since I know that the band Color It Red will be playing.

Cathe and I had a round of beer while Jeff ordered iced tea. At that point, I’m getting a feel that it will be me who will be left drinking alcohol before the night ends. Before the band started, we had a series of good laughs and foolish stories shared. I just realized that our beers where already consumed. Jef asked if we wanted to have another round, without any hesitations I said yes. On the contrary, Cathe refused to have another beer and ordered coffee instead. Jef also ordered coffee. And I was right… it was victory for me. I realized that I’m becoming some sort of a juvenile drunkard, tagging along with professionals, so much for the initial plan of coffee and milk. Well, the two had their coffee, I didn’t. Anyway, we went home almost 1:00 am (Thursday). Before we parted, Cathe asked me If we could go back to 70s bistro to watch again Cookie Chua since she enjoyed the gig, and also to catch a glimpse of Julianne’s performance… I said yes. This time...no doubt, would be a story of booze and artists (and industrial relations I guess) and not an account of what happened to the milk and coffee group date.

This is a nonsense narrative…

No comments: